I am seeking the advice of wives who have either been doing this whole marriage thing for a while, or those who have their acts way more together than mine.
You see, I’m trying to come up with organizational systems or semi-procedures within our household so that when school starts back up and I no longer have free time or a spare second, we have some things in place that help life run just a little smoother. I am not looking for fail-proof methods or rigid structures. We just need a rhythm to get into… for sanity.
The current quandary is meal planning and grocery shopping. We’ve tried a few methods so far:
- During the school year, I didn’t get home until 6:30 at the earliest (usually 7-7:30), so Brian took up the role of servant-leader and cooked most meals. He doesn’t like long trips to the grocery store (what man does?), so he stopped often on his way home to pick things up. Occasionally, we would grocery shop on a Sunday, but we were still new at this and didn’t always make it there. Brian had to carry most of the weight in this scenario (and was such an incredible blessing!!!). I don’t want it all to be on his shoulders in the fall.
- This summer, I’ve loosely planned meals for a few days at a time and shopped whenever– because I can right now. It really doesn’t bug me to go to the grocery store more often because I can pick the time to go and I choose to go when it’s least crowded. It’s worked okay. Not possible during the school year.
- Today, I made a plan, put it on the fridge (picture above), made a detailed grocery list, went on a LONG grocery trip, and we’re set for the week. This is something new I’m trying. It took planning, but I think it may pay off.
- We’ve also tried the “eat out a lot” plan– it’s expensive.
- And we’ve also had to wing-it a lot this summer– I’m a teacher in summer-mode, can you blame me?
But it’s time to figure this out and I’ve got a few more weeks to get something set. That’s where you come in… You ladies are the pros– please share your experience and wisdom with me (the rookie)!
Tell me: What do you do to plan meals? How do you keep from getting in a recipe rut? When/how often do you grocery shop? And remember– it’s just the two of us (for now)– so do any of you have recipes for two or tips for leftovers?
I can’t wait to read the comments and hopefully we can benefit from your wisdom!